Thursday 18 August 2016

Why I Named My Dog ‘Buhari’ — Trader




The Police in Ogun State, yesterday,
released unconditionally, the 30-year-old
trader, Joe Fortemose Chinakwe, who was
arrested last Saturday for naming his pet
dog ‘Buhari’.

                     

 The embattled trader, who was visibly angry
after his three-day incarceration in police
cell, was let off the hook around 5pm on
Tuesday after the intervention of both the
Serkin Hausa and President-General of non-
indigenes in the state.
 It was learned that the prompt intervention
of the elders made the complainant to
withdraw the case he reported against the
trader at Sango-Ota division which was later
transferred to Police headquarters at
Eleweran.
 However, police sources said both the
complainant and suspect were made to sign
an undertaking not to cause any breach of
peace again.
Speaking to Vanguard after this release, the
trader, a father of two from the Niger Delta,
who trades on second hand clothing
lamented that he was made to suffer for no
just cause.
Complainant from Niger Republic
Narrating his ordeal, Chinakwe said “It is
annoying because the complainant is from
Niger Republic and I am sure he is one of
those illegal aliens in this country. He
connived with one Police Sergeant from the
Northern part of Nigeria called Musa, who
works at Sango Police division to humiliate
me. Worse still, the Divisional Police Officer
there, did not help matters as he refused to
entertain any plea from me after I was
arrested that Saturday night. He simply
ordered his men to throw me into the cell.”
Why dog was named Buhari
Continuing, he said “I did not commit any
offence. I named my beloved pet dog Buhari,
who is my hero. My admiration for Buhari
started far back when he was a military
Head of State. It continued till date that he
is a civilian President. After reading his
dogged fight against corruption, which is
like a canker worm eating into the very
existence of this country, I solely decided to
rename my beloved dog which I called
Buhari, after him. I did not know that I was
committing an offence for admiring Buhari.
Ordeal with Police
“I was intimidated and thrown inside the cell
with hardened criminals for about three
days. While I was there, the complainant
from Niger Republic and Sergeant Musa
from the North kept on taunting me saying
people from my part of the country are
trouble makers and that after detaining me,
they will throw me into prison where I will
die unsung.
''Even when my wife came with our baby on
her back, they stopped her from giving me
food. One of my friends that came to see
me was also maltreated.
“While taking me to Eleweran the next day,
they handcuffed and chained me together
with that my friend. Fortunately, when we
got to police headquarters, both the
Commissioner of Police and other officers
were angry with their colleagues at Sango-
Ota.
''They were wondering loudly why I was
brought to the headquarters over such a
minor case. It’s very unfortunate that I have
to be so humiliated in my own country
because of the antics of a foreigner in
connivance with my brother from the North.”

           Source - Vanguard news..

No comments:

Post a Comment